Monday, January 17, 2011

Developing your awareness

As much as the New Year normally brings in resolutions, this year I vowed to give myself challenges instead. They seem more fun that way. I was really aware when running OpenFM last year at how effective I am when I come from a place of calm, and vice versa. This inner calm Sam is created through a multitude of ingredients/circumstances. When the seas are stormy I carry a whirlwind around with me.

So, I gave myself this challenge for 2011. Find that state of calm. The Christmas was a really good lead in with it being one of the most chillaxed holidays I've had in years. Then come the 1st of January I started getting up at 6am. Having 5 - 20 mins of quiet time. Then an hour in the gym, swimming or weights before heading to work. What I noticed was something that I didn't quiet expect. Especially so quickly. Suddenly I realised how my awareness had increased. I was aware of how uncalm my mind can be in the morning or when swimming. I could see the affects of not eating properly during the day and how my energy was erratic. I was also aware of the Human framework, a tool that we introduce on our Lucca Leadership courses. One day in particular, I noticed myself, sighing constantly and I asked myself, "eh, what's going on?" I then saw the doubts and fears that were going through my head. When myr heart was feeling open, it was getting the most bizarre and overwhelming feeling going on in my body. Then later while watching an emotional scene in a movie, I was nearly coming to tears.

How is any of this of use? Well, it gives me the tools I need to find the calm Sam. Sometimes, the solutions are found in the obstacles. Seeing what is pulling at me in every direction, allows me make changes to how I am affected. I'm feeling confident with my challenge for 2011 with this greater awareness.

What have you being aware of, since the beginning of the year?

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - Howard Thurman

No comments:

Post a Comment